Sunday, February 17, 2008

Got my Backpack "System" this weekend

After 7 years of hiking up the slopes, over the mountains, and swinging backpacks in/out of boats I've gotten a pretty good idea of what will work for me in the area of "personal portage". I've tried many systems, and have high hopes that this year I'll finally get it right.


For the past couple of years I've had a very large pack but it's finally worn out (amazing what carrying 20 kilos of rocks in a backpack can do !). This year I opted for a smaller pack, but much sturdier - along with a 2nd "side pack" for light, batteries and UV tent. I figure there are a couple of advantages to this: the smaller backpack will keep weight off my back, less bumping while walking, and is much sturdier than previous packs I've owned. The smaller side pack will work well as a "carrier" when working a prospect (hammer, chisel, light, battery, etc) - I can just leave the big pack and wander around with the smaller pack. Plus - keeping the necessary items close at hand on the way up will allow me access to quickly needed items without having to take off the big pack and search for stuff. This should be really handy as you are always tempted to stop at many spots "on the way" to check out a rock that just looks like it should glow.


These packs are from Maxpedition. "MAXPEDITION Hard-Use Nylon Gear is designed and constructed to withstand extreme conditions; in other words, we expect you to USE IT HARD in demanding situations and environments. Our company originated as a builder of premium-grade military equipment...". I think they're right. The material is very strong nylon, with a doubly strong bottom (the floor of your pack takes the biggest beating from the rocks inside, as well as abuse from dragging). It's filled with rows of strap holders (molle system) so you can customize it with all kinds of accessories (additional pockets, holders, etc). It also provides for a hydration system to carry a 100oz Camelbak.


The smaller side/front carry pack has room for batteries, my UV tent, chisel, GPS, camera, and I can clip my light to it. Thus I have everything I need on the way up right at my fingertips; I don't have to rummage in the big backpack everytime I want to check out a spot.


I like the smaller size and distribution. You don't really need that much space unless you're gonna be carrying lots of camping gear. And too much space tempts you to carry too many rocks - a serious problem in Ilimaussaq. I do have to solve one problem - there's really no straps for carrying my sleeping bag, but with the modular approach I can add straps and mount my bag to the bottom. All my other camping gear will fit nicely inside the main enclosure.


I also decided to try out a "Rollypoly" dump pouch. This is an expanding pouch which attached to your webbing, or mounts on a belt. It's nice and compact when rolled up, and expands into a big carrying bag unfolded.


Not sure how well this will work - a big load of rocks might not carry too well, but it might be nice for carrying equipment around from spot to spot - we'll see.


So - I'm now ready to pack my gear, adjust my straps, and get some experience with my new setup. I plan on hiking up and down my hill here in TN everyday for the next few months - fully loaded. My driveway is about the same as hiking the Taseq Slope; the rocks just aren't as interesting. But it will get me in great shape and allow me to figure out the best way to pack and carry for prospecting in Greenland.


Onward to GL08!



1 comment:

Thomas og Nanna said...

Hi Mark. Nice reading your blog - thanks.
My boyfriend and me are going to Narsaq tuesday, and being a geologgist I'm really looking forward to finding nice speciments of some of the fantastic minerals from Ilimaussaq. You write that you brought a gps! Did you make waypoints somewhere where you found interesting stuff? Could you maybe be persuaded to give us the coordinates? Thank you and best regards Nanna and Thomas, Greenland.
Write to nanna_kandrup@yahoo.dk or through our blog.