Sunday, February 24, 2008

Hammers, Chisels other Instruments of Destruction, More on Gear...

(Photo courtesy Herb Y.)
We've had a few emails discussing additional gear, hammers, and such....

Fly Vest - A great general purpose "pocket" vest allows you to carry cameras, batteries, small rocks, and other often needed items while hiking in a quickly accesable pocket. Bigger pockets are great for carrying battery packs. For this year I am considering a photographer's vest. It has less pockets (but bigger) than a fishing vest (I really don't plan on carrying dozens of lures, flys, hooks, etc) and seems somewhat sturdier. I carry my battery packs in this vest instead of on a belt so the vest has to be sturdy. Pants (cargo?) with pockets are handy also - by the time you get to the top of the mountain you'll have little rocks stashed everywhere - wondering if they glow....

Safety glasses - probably a very good idea, I wear glasses and find that they protect me well. You'll be hammering a lot of big rocks, with chips flying everywhere, plus - under your UV viewing tent the UV light can burn your eyes quickly.


Water bottle - I find that the Camelpaks work really well; very handy for drinking on the way up. But you'll still carry extra bottles of water most likely; they can be purchased at the local stores. You will need plenty of hydration. I usually refill my water from the snow-melt when in the mountains.


Hammers and Chisels - I buy all my hammers at Home Depot (and chisels). I find that fiberglass handles are the best; they are strong, but absorb the blows much better than metal handles. Wood is also fine. I would bring at least a 3 LB hammer, up to 6 LB with a 12" to 16" handle. You will be breaking big rocks and need something with some weight (but remember, you have to carry it up the mountain). We intend to have some big sledge hammers placed at a couple of strategic spots for those heavy duty boulder busting jobs. The photo shows my favorite hammer; it has a hammering face, and a chiseled face. Using two hammers (one to hit this one while holding it in place) can be very effective in busting boulders without busting your hands. The chiseled edge directs the blows onto the rock so that you will hopefully get a break in the direction you wish (not simple with Greenland rocks).


Chisels - absolutely get the kind with the hand guard - two each would be best. These are "throw aways" as they will not last the trip; the hills are filled with broken chisels. A nice 1" to 2" blade works best. (IMHO).

Chisels are used to wedge open cracks in large "in-place" rock, pry off big chunks, and for trimming. They don't last long! Sometimes they're just left in place after you've gotten them so wedged in that you can't retrieve them.


I don't like the Estwing type hammers (right). The bigger ones (crack hammers) are all metal and hard on my wrist/lower arm. The smaller geologist types are pretty much useless (but they make good chisels with a handle - for about three blows). The rocks we will encounter are big, ugly and damn hard. A little hammer is useless.

No comments: